Director of City Institute
PhD Planning, University of Toronto
MSc Planning, University of Toronto
BA Sociology, National University of Colombia
Urban Planning and Policy; Housing; Urban Governance; Informality; Participatory Planning.
Kaneff Tower, Room 731, 4700 Keele Street,
Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3J 1P3.
My research and teaching interests are focused on the various dimensions of urban inequality and their connections to governance and planning practice. I study urban violence and insecurity, housing precarity, socio-legal exclusions, and the formation of new socio-spatial peripheries and informalities. I also examine planning and urban policy responses to these issues through questions of urban politics, including the role of state and non-state actors and community activism in mobilizing, negotiating, or contesting urban planning agendas. At its core, my work questions the limits and possibilities of urban planning to redress socio-spatial injustices and promote more equitable and democratic cities. The geographic scope of my research includes both Latin America and Canada.
Recognition & Awards
- MITACS Accelerate (2023-2024)
- EUC Dean’s Service Award (2021-2022)
- York University Academic Innovation Fund Award (2020-2021 and 2021-2022)
- SSHRC Insight (2022-2025)
- MITACS Global Link (2019); MITACS Accelerate (2021 and 2022)
- SSHRC Partnership Engage (2020-2021)
- SSHRC Connections (2018-2019)
- SSHRC Doctoral Award (2011-2015)
- International Development Research Centre, Doctoral Award (2011)
|ENVS 4220||Urbanization in the Global South|
|ENVS 6126||Community Planning and Housing|