Explore and gain applied skills to respond to the climate crisis through sustainable energy solutions. The Certificate in Climate Solutions and Sustainable Energy includes training in energy efficiency, renewable and distributed energy resources and community energy and climate change planning. The United Nations has identified Climate Action and Clean and Affordable Energy, among its key Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). There is a growing market for sustainable energy practitioners in Canada and around the world.
The Climate Solutions and Sustainable Energy Certificate will provide training on the policy, economic, scientific, technical, legal, and managerial dimensions of the climate crisis and sustainable energy solutions to it, including hands-on applied training.
Key learning outcomes of the Climate Solutions and Sustainable Energy Certificate are:
- Recognize the urgency and complexity of the climate crisis
- Engage with conventional and alternative management models and governance & policy structures to identify, evaluate, propose and implement effective strategies.
- Understand of the structure of energy systems
- Work collaboratively to address the climate crisis and advance sustainable energy solutions effectively and accurately
- Develop critical thinking, leadership and active participation skills for project management, community initiatives and knowledge production in relation to the climate crisis and sustainable energy solutions.
This program is supported by the Sustainable Energy Initiative (SEI) in the Faculty of Environmental and Urban Change at York University. Established to build and strengthen the teaching, research and partnerships needed to create new green energy economies in Canada and around the world, SEI is focused on energy efficiency and conservation, renewable energy sources and combined heat and power.
2 to 3 years
Full time or Part time
Fall entry only
Sample course list
- Solutions: Transitions, justice and sustainability
- Energy and the environment in Canada
- Introduction to climate change science and policy
- Fundamentals of Renewable Energy
- Principles of Energy Efficiency
- Climate Justice
Hands-on Learning & Field Study
- Develop skills for solar energy management in our very own Rooftop Solar Lab
- Learn from guest lecturers by industry leaders and policy makers
- Take your learn outside the classroom to explore real world energy solutions at work in Ontario
Interest in energy, particularly relating to sustainability, supply and demand, and policy, is increasingly at the forefront of many organizations, businesses, and governments. While developing hands-on technical skills in renewable energy technologies and energy assessment, you will also enhance transferrable skills in project management, data analysis, critical thinking, and communication. Our graduates find success in the private, public, and non-profit sector including working for all level of government agencies, energy utilities, energy developers, and philanthropic foundations to name a few.
Some sample careers include:
- Energy Auditor
- Utility Coordinator
- Energy Efficiency and Conservation Manager
- Senior Account Executive
- Solar Panel Technician
- Energy Consultant
- Community energy plan coordinator
- Project Manager
- Energy Data Analyst
- Energy policy analyst/advisor
To help you succeed, our Experiential Education Coordinator provides a variety of career support services to our students including resume help, interview prep, and career planning workshops, and maintains an exclusive job board just for our students.
Direct Entry Students: The certificate is open to students who previously completed an undergraduate degree in a related field from an accredited institution. Students are admissible with a cumulative grade point average of 5.00/9.00 (C+). Individuals without an undergraduate degree but who have previous relevant work experience may also apply to the certificate.
Concurrent students: The certificate in Climate Solutions and Sustainable Energy (CSSE) may be completed concurrently with either a Bachelor’s or Honours degree program at York University. Students may register in the certificate program after completing 24 credits at York University with cumulative GPA of 5.00/9.00 (C+). Certificates will not be conferred until candidates have successfully completed their undergraduate degree program.
How to apply
Direct Entry Students: If you are a new applicant to York, you must ensure first that you meet the minimum requirements for admission to the University and meet any additional requirements. You may then apply through the Office of Admission.
Concurrent Students: If you are a current York student, contact your Academic Adviser to find out about admission requirements and the application process.