Deadline: February 15, 2024
Description: This award was established by family and friends in honour of Harold Mahabir, a member of the advisory team of the CIDA funded, Kenya Canada Energy Advisory project, which involved the Faculty of Environmental Studies, the Ontario Ministry of Energy and Ontario Hydro working with the Government of Kenya over a 7-year period beginning in 1985. Harold served brilliantly as the petroleum policy advisor and was responsible, in large measure, for the emergence of the National Oil Company of Kenya as a mechanism for ensuring competitive purchasing of oil supplies for the Nation of Kenya. Harold, who grew up in Trinidad and who believed passionately in life-long learning, was a great story teller, a bon vivant and a wonderful friend. The award will be given annually to a registered student in the second year of their Master of Environmental Studies at York University, who has a well-developed Plan of Study with Areas of Concentration addressing some aspect of international development. Eligibility:
- Open to second-year Master of Environmental Studies students at the Faculty of Environmental & Urban Change, York University.
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Be an Ontario resident.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Must have an approved Plan of Study addressing some aspect of international development.
- Applicants must be registered full-time and in good academic standing at the time of application.
- Applicants will be judged based on demonstrated commitment to international development, reflected in a statement about international development and a copy of the Abstract from their Plan of Study, as well as demonstrated financial need.
- Step 1: Complete the Office of Student and Financial Services' Student Financial Profile (SFP) When you visit the SFP website, please select APPLY NOW to complete your submission.
- Step Two: Prepare a statement about your commitment to international development
- Step Three: Prepare a copy of the Abstract from your Plan of Study
- Step Four: Contact a faculty member to be a reference. They must submit this Reference Assessment Form to complete your application. Be sure to inform of them of the name of award you are requesting a reference for and its deadline. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Step Five: Complete the application form by February 15.